Solid Wood Furniture: What does that mean? How do I know it’s solid wood? Why should I pay extra for it?
There’s a lot of unknowns for most shoppers around solid wood furniture. Why should I buy it? What exactly is it? And what are its benefits… At Manchester Wood, we make and sell exclusively solid wood furniture. And here’s why:
- It brings a feel of quality décor to your home.
- If it’s well built, solid wood furniture is incredibly durable and can last for generations.
- There is a sustainability and ethical factor. We believe in Eco-friendly sourcing practices.
- A common cheaper alternative is “veneer furniture,” and this is what works and what doesn’t:
- It’s a lower investment, and an easier expense on a tighter budget
- It gives the appearance of a larger selection of wood finishes and designs
- It can be easier to match sometimes with a uniformed finish, because of its manufactured “fake” look
- Commonly used with MDF, particleboard and other materials… BIG problem:
- These materials are mixed with chemicals and glues to provide “strength”
- They are lighter, makes it easier to manage, but doesn’t last long with major susceptibilities to damage that cannot be repaired
A lot of furniture retailers want you to buy without really looking at the materials. Be sure to check what the material is, and Google the name if you’re confused by it. As sometimes they put “dressed up” names on furniture materials to make it sound like solid wood. We truly love solid wood furniture at Manchester Wood, and not only do we enjoy making it and selling it to our customers for the last 40 years, but we love it in our own homes too.